Sunday, August 24, 2014

Boston - Day 7, Battle Road

In 2002, my husband was called to the Boston area on business. Lucky me! I was able to tag along to this beautiful city, so full of history and atmosphere. I hope you enjoy my relatively unedited travel diary:

Friday, August 2

The weather this morning was the usual sunny, hot, humid stuff, but the forecast called for thunderstorms. I decided it might not be the best idea to take the train anywhere for a walking day.

Site of Thoreau's Cabin, Walden Pond
Photo by Chris. All rights reserved.
I regretted not having put my toe in the water at Walden Pond, so I got in the car and went back there to do that. The water was warm, so now I regretted that my swimsuit was back at the hotel. Not a very well prepared girl scout, am I? I had entertained the notion of getting a “simplify” shirt for myself, but the gift shop simplified things for me by not having my size available.

The Concord River, Old North Bridge
Photo by Chris. All rightds reserved.
The weather was still very nice as I made my way back to Old North Bridge in Concord. I wasn't sure why I was going there again. I just was. And I was starting to think the weather forecast was wrong. Again.

Unfortunately, I arrived just in time to miss the park ranger's interpretive program, which was evidently quite good, based on the comments from those who were still assembled. Everyone was standing around talking, and I was feeling sorry for myself. It would have been terrific to hear the presentation. But the visitor center was interesting and the people were friendly and visiting from all over the country (and other countries). All was not lost. A good conversation is a great thing.

The Wayside, Concord
Photo by Chris. All rights reserved.
By now it was starting to sprinkle, so we all parted ways and headed to our cars for shelter. I made my way to The Wayside "Author's Home" on Battle Road. The tour was very interesting and informative, and I learned that Louisa May Alcott (Little Women) grew up there, and Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter) later lived there. But the main thing I loved about the place was the atmosphere. I wanted to sit down right there and write an entry in my diary!

There was lightning and thunder and heavy rain. On the way back to the car, I got soaked. Because, naturally, my umbrella was in the back seat. The temperature had dropped by about 20 degrees, too, so it was a good thing I had remembered to bring my little cotton sweater. Which was, naturally, in the car.

I proceeded to Hartwell Tavern on Battle Road that the British passed on their way to Concord on April 19, 1775. It's a living history museum that's part of Minute Man National Historic Park now, with the park rangers outfitted in period dress. I love that kind of thing, and the rangers were very well informed and enthusiastic. Because of the weather, I was the only “civilian” present, so I was able to monopolize the time of a park ranger whose best friend lives about ten miles from me. What are the odds?

Turns out my husband had been frantically trying to reach me on the cell phone so we could go out to dinner with some colleagues. The reception out there was pretty spotty; happily, I got his message in time to meet them at BugabooCreek, even though I was in a traffic jam on 495 on the way back. I was incredibly hungry. Hungry enough to eat a big steak. So I did.

Now that we're close to heading home, I'm finally feeling comfortable with my driving and surroundings here. I didn't get lost; I didn't need the map. Progress is being made!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all messages and would love to hear from you.